Bay to Breakers is the birthplace and world championships of the Centipede Running Division. In 1978 prizes were first awarded to a newly instituted division. That year Centipede founders and pioneers of running fun, the U.C. Davis Aggies Track Club, were named the first ever Bay to Breakers World Centipede Running Champions, finishing as a unit 130th overall out of a total of 16,000 race entrants. Centipedes have been a race staple ever since.
- Groups of 13 or more runners travel the full 12k course together linked by a bungee cord, or any other safe mechanism.
- Centipede groups can run the course competitively or just for fun.
- Competitive groups must choose the Centipede category when registering. Non-competitive groups can register as individuals.
- Seeded and Sub-Seeded Centipedes will be eligible for awards.
- All members of the Centipede group will receive $5 off their registration.
- All members of a Centipede group will receive the same benefits as individual runners including a participant t-shirt and finisher medal.
Official rules can be found here.
- VELOCIPEDE: Men only.
- SPEEDYPEDE: Women only.
- SPLITPEDE: Coed. No more than 7 of one gender.
- MINIPEDE: Youth, ninth grade or below, with three boys and three girls.
- SEEDED-PEDE: Male and Female. See rules for full details on seeded centipedes